Monday, March 3, 2008

What I Learned About Geiger Counters

So for last week's lab, I arrived to find that most of my group was there early, so they'd gotten started. There were seven or so people (at least three of whom are college graduates, FYI) crowded around a Geiger counter. What's that? It measures radioactivity. How's it work? You basically point a microphone at something, press "start," wait a minute, and then a machine that the microphonish thingy is attached to gives you a number. With me?

Anywho, my group had been working for about half an hour. But they kept getting the same number, no matter what substance they were trying to gauge and what sorts of radioactive shields they put in front of the substance. Dangit! Something must be wrong with the machine! Eventually I took a look at the directions in the lab book, compared it against the setup on our table, and came to a conclusion: The microphone-type part should be pointed at the item you're trying to get a reading for. Our microphone was standing upright, sensor-end pointing straight down. We'd successfully taken eight different readings of the radioactivity level of the desk.

The end!

No comments: