Monday, March 3, 2008

Transfollies Explained

So one topic that's starting to get a little media play but is still very hard for many people to understand, much less accept, is that of transfollicularism. And if you must know, I'm a CTS (curly-to-straight)-female. That means I'm a straight-haired person trapped in the body of a curly-haired individual. Growing up, this was very hard on my mom. As a bio-straight, she tried to teach me to accept my curly self, all the while sending the message that straight hair was pretty.

After spending the last three years of my life attempting to grow my stupid dog-throwup-looking curly hair long for once to see if that helped the situation (far vomity left), I finally broke up with my hair for good. For serious, on a good day I looked like a boring immigrant. So I got "top surgery"—magic secret thermal Japanese hair straightening. Sure it was boring and took six hours BUT now I look like the love child of Tom Petty and Katherine Moennig that I've always known I was inside (see likable picture above right).

Seriously, sticks are coming up to me on the street asking how to get hair this straight. It is great. It is my hope that with a few more documentaries on Sundance, people will eventually come to understand this complex subject. Maybe one day us transfolls will even get represented on The Real World!

No comments: