Monday, March 10, 2008

Roy G. FMe

Tonight we got our tests back. No, not the sheet with the questions on them. The Scantron sheets. Yes, we got a grid back with nothing to compare it to. Genius.

Two months ago I wasn't sure of the difference between a class at a real school that costs $1100 per credit and this one for $150. Turns out that extra $950 buys you one thing: context. It's like if there were a whole class on light, spectral colors, and the refractive index. $1100 per credit gives you an explanation of all the factors and how the whole system functions. The bargain-basement teacher strolls in and gives you nothing more or less than "Roy G Biv."

When students ask questions, our teacher frequently responds with some variation of, "You don't got to know that, just write this down, figure it out later." I loathe chemistry and am hardly in the mood for a challenge, but I'd imagine it'd be pretty disappointing if I, say, wanted a functional understanding of the subject matter.

Wednesday I asked a question and the conversation went like this:
Me: Can you help me do these electron configurations? I got most of them but this one has an odd number of electrons and I'm having trouble.
Teacher: Oh, I didn't teach you how to do that.
Me: I know, but I read the chapter and learned to do them, but I can't figure this one out.
Teacher: Oh, that's wonderful! What did you get on your test?
Me: 100. (Psh.)
Teacher: How great! You make me feel like I'm doing something right.

SEE PREVIOUS.

No comments: