Thursday, January 31, 2008

Film Strip Day

On our first night of lab, the Professor struggled with the teevee for a good ten minutes, and finally cued up what can only be described as a moving, powerful, important safety video. Believe me, I scoured youtube for this gem, but I couldn't find it. If anyone out there works for the American Chemical Society and wants to forward me that 1991 footage, you may reach me at the imaginary nurse at gmail dot com. Thank you.

Until then, you are going to have to let me describe the highlight in a word picture. To illustrate how different materials catch fire, they lit the clothes on a mannequin on fire. Then someone hiding out of frame hobbled her over to the safety shower to douse her. And then, to show us what to do if we're aflame but out of reach of the shower or fire blanket, they grabbed her by the feet, lowered her to the floor, and waggled her from side to side in a "stop drop and roll" maneuver. See? It's not as funny that way. Dammit.

Also, for anyone who kind of thinks that the 90s had no distinct style: I'm here to tell you that you are incorrect. Words do not do justice to the plaid shirts, mom jeans, and Lollapalooza-bowl-cut-rat-tail hybrid styling that went on in this video, but timeless it was not.

No comments: